(Photo by ImaxTree)
You know that ol' saying "beauty is pain"? Well, it didn't come around for nothing. Anyone who spends at least five minutes getting ready in the morning — and if even my begrudging middle-school brother does this, I know everyone else does — knows this.
We wax — the most, uh, delicate of parts — shave, pluck, wrap our appendages (okay, hair) around sizzling 400-degree could-be torture devices (okay, curling irons), yeah, we sacrifice a lot in the name of beauty. But have you ever wondered how much?
Well, the folks over at MyVoucherCodes, a UK-based discount code and coupon site, did, so they polled 2,000 women to find out what the most common primping injuries are. The #1 biggest beauty blunder was (drumroll, please...) shaving and waxing! 48 percent of women reported suffering some sort of shaving/waxing-related boo-boo. Are you at all surprised?
Other apparently dangerous procedures included:
- Sunburn from tanning (37 percent)
- Got burnt while using hot tools (33 percent)
- Had an allergic reaction to a beauty product (26 percent)
- Eyelash curler "accident" — eek! (14 percent)
- A bad reaction to hair dye (11 percent)
- Tattoo/piercing malfunction (3 percent)
- Teeth whitening (1 percent)
Teeth whitening, dangerous? Who knew! Also, a whopping 28 percent of women said they've never — not once ever! — suffered any sort of injury while primping. Um, secrets, please?