GQ's 'The Style Guy' Issue is Probably One of the Best Things Ever Published, Maybe
The cover is so serious. You can tell by the coverlines and the silver-black-off-white color scheme. Manly, etc.
When it comes to menswear and the men's fashion industry, I'm a total fangirl. Men's fashion is just so... cool—the tailoring, the precision, the fit, the fabrication, the luxury of all that combined with a core value of utilitarianism mixed with complex constructs of men's self-perception and images of masculinity. Yeah, it's deep.
Anyway, if men's fashion were a cult, Glenn O'Brien would be its high priest—or, at the very least, its Moses.
For 13 years, O'Brien's penned the "Style Guy" column in GQ magazine. It's a must-read monthly agony aunt (uncle) letters-from-readers feature that not only useful—full of good advice and specific suggestions, etc.—but hilarious and very, very smart.
This month, GQ pays homage to the Style Guy by giving him his own special issue (called GQ The Style Guy). It's $10.99 and will be available at newsstands all over the place until January 14, 2013, so get yourself one.
Here are eight of our favorite features inside:
1. How to Get Ready for Work: 12 pages of advice spanning how to dress better than your boss without upsetting your boss, how to pick a cool tie that's not too cool, how to pick a work shirt, O'Brien's own work wardrobe history (ummm, did you know he used to work at High Times?), and how to fly in suits.
Note the story on man-bling, right.
2. The L.A. Reid Interview: When a man we love appears in a magazine made by another man we love, it's, like, wow. Best bit?
Kanye West is a high-level style guy, and one day he called me and said, "How do you feel about the fact that the way that you've dressed for the past five years has influenced the music industry? And that now we're all dressing the way that you dress?" That was a bigger compliment than for him to say I was right about picking his hit single.
I totally own a Schott "Perfecto" jacket. Obviously, we are soulmates.
3. The Schott "Perfecto" jacket: "My Schott motorcycle jacket is nearly as old as my wife."
4. Glenn O'Brien in a Supreme hoodie: With Tyler from Odd Future.
Supreme is in my neighborhood. I didn't want to be the old guy in there, but one day they were showing my public-access show from the '80s, Glenn O'Brien's TV Party, on this big bank of TVs. I thought, Jeez, I guess I can go in there now.
Pay attention, man-friends.
5. How to deal with a unibrow: Very important information.
6. This funny photo of Jeff Bridges: Yes, we are adolescents inside our heads.
7. Serious advice: Listen, if anyone knows stuff about friendship, schmoozing, and social advancement, it's Glenn O'Brien. Everyone likes him and he's really successful and cool. What's up with that? Here is a sample of his excellent advice regarding party strategy: "It's okay to be the life of the party. It's okay to clear the dance floor with an amazing display of footwork with a sexpot partner; it is not okay to clear the floor by stumbling or projectile vomiting."
8. The man, the myth, the Style Guy.
Okay kids, make sure to pick up a copy of GQ The Style Guy while it's on newsstands through January 14th! Ladies, it's a great read—or you can buy it for your guy. Clean him up and stuff.