Banish Bad Hair Days with This Simple Braid
This twisted "snake braid" is our new go-to for resolving any bad hair day in a snap.
Bad hair days can happen to anyone. Banish less-than-perfect locks with a braid that will spruce up any lazy-day look. Latest-Hairstyles contributor Jennie Kay shared this twisted "snake braid" that's beyond simple to re-create. Get Kay's DIY steps, below.
The "Snake Braid"
1. Create a large diagonal section of hair behind your ear.
2. Split the section into three equal subsections for the braid. Apply a bit of pomade to your hand (about half the size of a dime) and smooth out each section. This will help make a smooth, clean braid. Begin braiding (a basic, three-strand braid) this section, keeping medium tension on the braid. You do not want this braid too tight or too loose.
3. Braid almost all the way down to the ends of your hair, leaving one to two inches left below where you stop the braid.
4. Take two of the sections and combine them to make one larger section. You will now only have two sections—one small and one large.
5. Take the smaller section and carefully slide it up the braid.
6. Keep sliding the smaller section up to the top of the braid.
7. Now slide the section back down to create a looser “S” pattern braid.
8. Wrap the snake braid around the back of your head and pin in place. Spray with a medium hold hairspray to add extra hold and tame any flyaways.