Up Your Braid Game With This Zig-Zag 'Do
Master this elegant braided updo in ten simple steps. Seriously.
Whether you have a big night out planned or just want to beef up your hair arsenal for your next occasion, this braided updo is one to master for sure. Don't be fooled by the twists and turns: this zig-zag Dutch braid is actually a breeze. Latest-Hairstyles shared with us this DIY 'do from Melissa Cook of My Soul is the Sky. Get the details below.
1. Start with a middle part. Take a one-inch section of hair near your part and divide it into three pieces. If you have bangs, you can choose to include or not include them in the braid.
2. Begin a Dutch braid, braiding down toward your right ear. To create a Dutch braid, begin a three-strand braid where the side sections weave under the middle section, gathering hair each time.
3. Begin turning the braid when you’re about two inches from the right ear, so it crosses back over the top of the head.
4. Continue braiding across the back of the head until the braid almost reaches the left ear.
5. When you’ve almost reached the left side, turn the braid so it loops back to the right—creating the zig-zag pattern.
6. Once you’ve reached the right side, repeat the process turning the braid back to the left, pulling in the rest of the hair and finishing with a normal braid. Secure the end with a clear elastic.
7. Gently pull on the sides of the braid to loosen it and create a larger looking braid. This will help hide the space between the braids.
8. Next, take the little braided tail and wrap it back along the top of the bottom braid
9. Pin it in place with bobby pins.
10. Secure any loose strands and spritz some hairspray to hold everything in place.