(Photo: Lucy Folk/ Yazbukey)
Just about every magazine will tell you that it’s boots, scarves, and sweater season. While we’re not above re-stocking our favorite knee-highs and cable-knits, we’re championing these under-sold items that promise to see us straight though to winter.
1. Cheeky Jewelry: During cooler months, wardrobes take an inevitable turn towards darker colors. A sure-fire way to lighten the mood is to indulge in fun pieces of jewelry like these blood orange earrings from Lucy Folk or this lighter-shaped brooch from Yazbukey. These guys stand up against just-out-of-storage chunky layers, and the pop-art earrings, brooches, and necklaces make any gloomy-day outfit a total win. (Pictured above.)
2. Wrap Top: This black wrap top from H&M has the sophistication of a button-up with the ease of a tee. This wardrobe workhorse goes just about anywhere: Wear it on a first date with a moto jacket, under a blazer for a big job interview, or with jeans to go pick up your dry cleaning.(Photo: H&M)
3. An Easy-To-Layer Dress: A dark colored shift dress goes the extra mile when the mercury dips. This pretty, navy one from Black Crane looks equally great over a long sleeved shirt as it does cinched at the waist for more formal occasions. Say hello to this season’s saving grace.
(Photo: Black Crane)
4. Sneakers: Thick-soled, athletic sneaks can temper the fanciness of a fall coat. Sink your wallet into a pair of monochrome New Balance 501's and they’ll beat out your most comfy pair of boots every single time.
(Photo: New Balance)
5. Oversized Cardigan: SLOE's cocoon cardigan makes you look chic even during a drugstore run. It can hide your most slovenly sweater in a snap. Plus, the slouchy shape is forever, meaning you'll wear it season after season.
6. Graphic Tee: One great smile inducing shirt will alleviate the early onset of seasonal affective disorder. Tell us this être cécile cheetah and neon muscle tank doesn't make you reconsider the importance of a good tee.
(Photo: Etre Cécile)
7. Boy Shorts: New season means new underpinnings! Uber soft boy shorts from TEN Undies only make sense against heavy fall-time fabrics like wool and leather.(Photo: TEN Undies)