Designer Diane von Furstenberg attends a private preview of the exhibition "BALENCIAGA: Spanish Master" at Queen Sofia Spanish Institute on November 17, 2010 in New York City. (Getty Images)more pics » Diane Von Furstenberg
Finally, the CFDA is doing something to address model's health. The new guidelines, issued by Diane Von Furstenberg, outlines several ways to promote healthy lifestyles within the fashion community.
Among them, designers are cautioned against hiring models younger than 16 and making sure they provide healthy food and beverages at fashion shows and photo shoots. They also promote education for all members of the industry, so they may identify at-risk individuals.
While the guidelines cover many bases, they are simply requests rather than rules. The question is, did the CFDA go far enough or should they take a firmer stance?
Here is the full list of guidelines:
- Educate the industry to identify the early warning signs in an individual at risk of developing an eating disorder.
- Encourage models who may have an eating disorder to seek professional help in order to continue modeling. And models who are receiving professional help for an eating disorder should not continue modeling without that professional’s approval.
- Develop workshops for the industry (including models and their families) on the nature of eating disorders, how they arise, how we identify and treat them, and complications if they are untreated.
- Support the well-being of younger individuals by not hiring models under the age of sixteen for runway shows; not allowing models under the age of eighteen to work past midnight at fittings or shoots; and providing regular breaks and rest. (Consult the applicable labor laws found at www.labor.state.ny.us when working with models under sixteen.)
- Supply healthy meals, snacks, and water backstage and at shoots and provide nutrition and fitness education.
- Promote a healthy backstage environment by raising the awareness of the impact of smoking and tobacco-related disease among women, ensuring a smoke-free environment, and address underage drinking by prohibiting alcohol.
Check out Diane Von Furstenberg's Lookbooks on StyleBistro: