Etsy: your one-stop go-to source for quirky handmade goodies, giftable tchotchkes, made-to-order fashion and accessories, and... drugs?
According to a report on Mashable, Etsy's recently taken aggressive steps to curb drug transactions on the site—as well as sales of things like human bones (and remains) and items containing mercury (super-toxic, you guys, don't buy mercury on Etsy).
The list of prohibited items can be found here—here's the gist of it:
Thank goodness, the sales of human teeth and hair are still allowed. Whew.
- Tobacco and other smokeable products
- Drugs, medical drug claims about an item, drug paraphernalia
- Live animals, illegal animal products
- Human remains or body parts (excluding hair and teeth)
- Firearms and/or weapons
- Hazardous materials (for example: flammable, explosive, corrosive, poisonous, etc.)
- Recalled items
- Real estate
- Motor vehicles (for example: automobiles, motorcycles, boats, travel trailers, etc.)
- Items or listings that promote, support or glorify hatred toward or otherwise demean people based upon: race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation; including items or content that promote organizations with such views
- Items or listings that promote or support illegal activity or instruct others to engage in illegal activity
- Items or listings that promote, support or glorify acts of violence or harm towards self or others
Even beyond these standards, Etsy members are responsible for making important moral or ethical decisions regarding what they buy and sell on Etsy.
We reserve the right to remove listings that we determine are not within the spirit of Etsy.
No, seriously, what? Anyway, who knew you could even get drugs on Etsy? Can someone please explain what's going on here? We're just here for the crochet..