The NYFW Updo You're Going to Need to Try
This floral style from Alice + Olivia is one look we can't wait to take a shot at.
One of our favorite parts of New York Fashion Week is hands-down the slew of bold hairstyles that come from the runways. Although most of these 'dos are a dream to look at, they are less than wearable. But we spotted one look yesterday that was not only glamorous enough for Fashion Week but wearable enough to recreate IRL. Get the exact how-to steps from lead hairstylist and Redken brand ambassador Rodney Cutler to create this bold floral look from Alice + Olivia.
1. Start by creating a strong center part.
2. Apply volumizing spray and Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumize Mousse ($18) at the root and blow dry hair straight.
3. Separate hair into three sections: two in the front, from the center part directly down to behind the ears, and a third in the back.
4. Gather the back section of hair into a low ponytail just below the nape of the neck and secure with elastic.
5. Using a flat brush, pull the front two sections toward the back of the head and secure with a secondary elastic around the ponytail. You should now have one big ponytail.
6. Create a rope braid by dividing the ponytail into two sections and twisting each section counterclockwise until the full length of hair has been twisted.
7. Then, cross the two twisted sections over one another repeatedly until you reach the bottom of the ponytail and secure the rope braid with an elastic.
8. Twist the rope braid into a horizontal chignon from ear to ear. Secure with pins and finish with Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Hairspray ($18) to hold.
9. To get the maximum Alice + Olivia effect, add large ruby red carnations across the top with pins.
And be sure to check out more of our favorite beauty looks from NYFW Fall 2015.